Saturday, January 07, 2006

The Raving

This thought is attributed to Ted Manning, and seems to apply more and more to my work, as I approach a deadline

The e-Raven
Once I took e-learning (dreary), and I pondered, weak and weary
Why they forced me to go through it - who'd create this dreadful bore?
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping
As of some one gently rapping, rapping on my chamber door.
'Tis Flash animation," I did mutter, "only this and nothing more."

Wish I could retain some meaning, 'fore my interest careening
From this dull, page-turning Fiend, Had me weeping on the floor.
Yet I plodded, kicking, screaming, clicking clicks I did deplore.
Then I stumbled 'pon a screen which did set my mind to reeling,
Quoth instructions (Times New Raven), in a font typed very small:
"Click Nevermore".

'Round the interface, I peering, long I sat there wondering, fearing
Doubting, dreaming dreams no learner ever dared to dream before;
But the silence was unbroken, and the stillness gave no token,
But now the words were clearly spoken, those instructions from before,
A reedy, screechy chirpy voice through mine headphones:
"Click Nevermore."

"Much I marveled - head was churning - was this teaching?
Was I learning?Could I recall course objectives, witnessed by mine eyes before?
Thus I sat engaged in guessing, but no syllable expressing,
Performance outcomes? All unknown, but this I did the screen implore:
"Tell me truly, what thou wantest!" Quoth the screen:
"Click Nevermore."

"Prophet!" cried I, "thing of evil! Wretched software! Damned upheaval!
Dare I click this absurd button, or doest thou warn me to abhor?
What behavior seekest thee - what change in my skills' core?
Tell this soul with sorrow laden, how to grasp that distant shore!
Quoth e-learning: "Click Nevermore."

Now the screen doth mock me truly: flickering, winking, taunting coolly,
And my eyes have all the seeming of a demon most unruly,
As I wait for new instructions, those that guide me through a door
To a Haven blessing users, peaceful Eden, where true learning is adored.
Yet I grasp no hope of leaving, for in my mind those words still roar:
Quoth e-learning, "Click Nevermore."

from the WBTOLL learning digest,
by Ted Manning,Ted Manningtmanning@alleni.com
after Edgar A Poe.

No comments: