Sunday, February 03, 2013

A glut of gluten?

Why oh why is wheat so popular with processed foods manufacturers
On a whim, I recently decided to go "Gluten Free" in my diet. 
I don't have coeliac disease, and I have sympathy with those who have a genuine aversion to gluten. For some people, avoiding gluten may be a matter of life or death
So I am alarmed at the number of products on grocers' shelves that have wheat added without an obvious need for it. 
Sometimes the presence of wheat flour or gluten is hidden in secret little chemical codes, sometimes the presence of wheat is only suggested in  tiny print, hidden in a part of the label that is folded out of sight. I've taken to looking carefully at the small print on packets and tins, using a powerful magnifying glass.
Only rarely does a manufacturer's list of ingredients warn clearly 'May contain traces of wheat', but why do they think they are obliged to support the annual grain harvest from wheat farmers in the first place.
Sure, I can see a need for gluten when making commercial bread, and biscuits, and cakes, and pizza, and noodles, and pasta and beer and thick gravies.
It seems illogical that a packet of rice bubbles has wheat, or that corn flakes has wheat added. If I want wheat, I'll buy a box of weetbix, thanks very much.
Does a tin of pumpkin soup really not sell unless wheat is added? I can't for the life of me (pardon the weak pun) see why ice cream really needs to contain wheat. Isn't that a dairy item?
No wonder there is an epidemic of obesity around the globe, everyone is stuffed with gluten and wheat gas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.