Monday, June 17, 2013

Buy one, get one free

The trouble is, I don't want two, I want only one.
Just as frustrating is the marketing nonsense of: “Price for two - $15, Single Price - $10”. Why am I being taxed 50% because I only want one item? I lose.
I go into the supermarket to buy an ear of sweetcorn for my evening meal; why are they wrapped in threes? If there's two people to feed, who gets the third ear? If I am eating alone, and super hungry and willing to eat two, it means the third cob goes in the bin. I lose
In the department story 'sale' they are offer 20% discount on a second shirt if I buy two. I lose. Surely they can sell me one with a 10% discount.
The same sort of trick is used when offering an item for $39.99. The cashier won't give me 1 cent change; the marketing morons expect the price to be rounded up to an even $40, but they reckon shoppers will be frightened to buy of they label the item at $40.
Its all a game to retailers. They know that over a year the extra sales they wrench from gullible shoppers and extra cents will add up in the profits.

I am sure there is one born every minute, fools willing to have their pockets raided by retailers; but in balance, ten shoppers switch to retailers who don't try to play their customers for fools.

No comments: